Monday 24 October 2011

More painting bacteria!

Well I was going to wait and put these up on my website whenever I get round to making it but as I seem to have your attention right now thought you might like to see some more of the nice pictures made by Serratia marcescens, Simon Park and me. These are close-ups from two plates, in no particular order.

There are also some Micrococcus luteus and Micrococcus roseas in there, rather drowned out by ythe Serratia.  And some other bacteria who hitched a ride in the paint, I don't know what the tiny pale colonies are but they probably came off me and found my gum arabic/honey/glycerin medium a delightful place to live.














































Photos by Simon Park.

8 comments:

  1. Very nice bacterias prima!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Me gustan las bacterias DE COLORES!!!!!! Yodigovsle.blogspot,com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like them too! And thank you, Mr. Tortoise.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fabulous Sarah! I love the blobby ones (that's a special scientific word you know!) - is that the paint growing too?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you Mel! Yes, it is the paint, which just goes to show that you should never suck on a painting. And it's funny you should use the word "blobby", I have spent most of today trying to come up with words for 'point', 'line' and 'plane' that work better for thinking about real-world things . 'Blob' was the clear winner in the 'point' heat but I didn't get anything better than 'trail' and 'patch' for the other two, perhaps you can help?

    ReplyDelete
  6. this is amazing! greetings from Peru :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thyank you, Peruvian person! Glad you like them :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete